+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Bebop

Default Cowboy Bebop

I didn't see a CB thread. I did a search. So if there already is, so sue me.

Anyways, I just finished watching the series again, and there still seems to be stuff that goes over my head. I thought I'd start a thread to ask a few questions, and maybe there are other people out there who want to talk Bebop. I know it was a popular series when it came out.

Anywho, Everything involving Spike and his past sort of confuses me. The way they tell the story, you have to read between the lines, and be keen to picking up little details.

From my understanding
    Spoiler:
    Spike was in some kind of big mob organisation or something. So were poeple from his past, such as Julia, and Vishios (sp) Something went wrong and Spike and Julia went into hiding. Spike faked his death, which is why they always refer to Spike having died already. Julia stayed away, cause she was suposed to have killed Spike. Vishous, I don't get him at all. My best understanding, is he is like Kefka from FF6. Just a crazy guy hungering for power. In the last episode Julia says, "We don't need all that (weapons) if we run away" so what were they doing? And after Julia died, Spike went after Vishous. I can think of reasons, but what was the actual reason for this. I didn't know.
    So is there someone really smart out there, who understood it a little better than I did. Oh ya, and what is all this about his eyes. past and present crap?

Default Re: Cowboy Bebop

From what I understand/remember about Spike's past, he, Julia, and Vicious were in a love triangle. Spike talks about leaving the syndicate and eloping with Julia. Vicious found out about Spike and Julia, and tells Julia to either kill Spike, or face the penalty of death for treason. Spike fakes his death by getting into a gunfight.

Spike goes after Vicious because he was the official leader of the syndicate at the time, and thus responsible for Julia's murder. And also, they kind of hate each other. I guess it was for closure and to settle everything.

Spike's right eye is prostetic.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Since his eye is prosthetic, does he have any depth perception? Just wondering, cause he still does some crazy shit even with one eye.

what tells you it was a gun fight spike got in? I never picked up on that? I got the fact that his eye was prostetic, but what's the past and present stuff he babbles about?
    (wow carter, you can play nice)

The prostetic eye, ishis past. He tries to forget the past but he can't cause the cause of his accident with his prostetic eye was from the past. His normal eye, is the present; it looks into what happens in the present. Think of it as a battle scar. Like Zoro's big ass scar from Mihawk.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp
    what tells you it was a gun fight spike got in? I never picked up on that? I got the fact that his eye was prostetic, but what's the past and present stuff he babbles about?
    (wow carter, you can play nice)
    Theres a brief flashback right at the start of the series (shown later) of the gunfight we can assume Spike "died" in. I think he lost his eye there too.

As for your second question..
    Basically its the same thing with Gutts from Berserk.
    One eye (the working one) sees the present. And symbolically he still sees his past with the one thats gone (because he lost it during the height of his past). Basically its symbolic of him not being able to let go, of still living in the past, meaning the past is still a part of his every breathing moment.
    And in the end...he dies after both parts of his past die (Julia and Viscious).

The prostetic eye works like a normal one though. As...its the future .
    Start of Episode 6 has him recalling his eye surgery.

ah, thanks guys. It's all symbolic. the eye and his death. (all is lost, so he's lost) I still think he was silly going back like that. Unless his reason was, he's the only one who can kill Viscious, he has to save the world from him. If he just went there to die....I like the FMA phylosophy better. "You can continue to live as long as you still have 2 good legs to keep you going"

Is there anyone else out there who still feels like talking Bebop? I'd still like to discuss it more.

Well if you want Spike's reason to die....he said it himself to Jet right before leaving.
    The Cat Story... Explains it all.

In the end he attains peace, the ending song "Blue". Blue is Nirvanna in Budhism I think..
    So a sad ending, but a happy one too in some sense.

I always felt bad for Jet, since the series kind of leaves him hanging in a damaged ship with his leg all screwed up.

I thought the ending theme was "Real Folk Blues" Unless that's what you are refering to.

Blue is the ending for the final episode. It's sung entirely in English, and is a really gorgeous song.

What Carter said.

This is a great site for identifying music and other things in Bebop.
    http://rfblues.aaanime.net/

I like the opening song "Tank". Korean game shows use it all the time. Also, I heard a rumor (probably false) of a second Cowboy Bebop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prince
    Also, I heard a rumor (probably false) of a second Cowboy Bebop.
    Perhaps you are thinking about Samurai Champloo (same creators as Bebop)?

Wii Code: 2925 3858 9004 9660
    Nickname: Inferno

I heard vague rumours about a second series....that followed V.T from Episode 7 (the Heavy Metal Queen).
    Or that was just Watanabe picking a character if he HAD to continue.

There was a short story series on the Bebop website about VT, I think.

Cowboy Bebop is coming back to AS. From what I'm reading here
    http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/index.html
    I will watch this.. 1st time seeing this anime so whats the genre of this anime?
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Science fiction.

Pseudo-detective stuff.

I'm not sure if "awesome" counts as a genre.

Maybe I'll actually be able to catch the last two episodes this time. For some reason something always comes up and I miss those two whenever AS airs them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    Science fiction.

Pseudo-detective stuff.

I'm not sure if "awesome" counts as a genre.
    Cool. I am a fan of decective anime so this anime should be cool.Thank you
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information