+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 990: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"

Default 990: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"

If we turn up enough rocks will we find a kid of Blackbeard's or Im's no one knew about until now?

Title: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"
    Chapters Covered: 983
    Episode Director: Tatsuya Nagamine (*****)
    Animation Director: Masahiro Kitazaki (***1/2) + Yong-ce Tu (*****)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 990: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"

I bet there is a dozen Blackbeard kids around the one piece world. M' man Blackbeard be pimpin'!

Here Comes Kaidou's Son - Episode 990: https://bittube.tv/post/4692937a-fe6...9-515e0fa45e6b

One Piece Episode 991 Preview

Last edited by thaihoa91; September 4th, 2021 at 06:22 PM.

So it looks like unmasked Yamato is next week? And more importantly, Punished Peros next week.

edit: Luffy being super chill and nonreactive to being carried off by a random tall masked weirdo
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Hayamin sounds boyish enough. Pretty convincing.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Spoiler:
    They just had to get that boob shot in at the last second. Gotta warn my bro not to watch this trailer then...
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    So it looks like unmasked Yamato is next week?
    Unless that scene is a cliffhanger and they wait until 992 to actually show Yamato's face, which wouldn't surprise me given the pace of current One Piece.

Since Kitazaki was an AD I was half-expecting him to draw over Shida's Thunder Bagua sequence from Luffy vs. Kaido 1 again but getting Itsuki Tsuchigami (friend of Masami Mori) to handle that part was such a pleasant surprise!

Still need to catch up on last week's episode first. Haven't had much energy to watch my shows in a timely manner lately due to work and doing a binge the Evangelion franchise rewatch over the past 2.5 weeks.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Still need to catch up on last week's episode first. Haven't had much energy to watch my shows in a timely manner lately due to work and doing a binge the Evangelion franchise rewatch over the past 2.5 weeks.
    You're in for an hour of excellent episodes, then.

Tonight, I was a bit disappointed at the much longer than usual (lately) recap, but the animation it highlighted from the previous episodes was all pretty awesome, so it was fine.

What I didn't like at all, was the extra-long Ulti flashback to sliding down the stairs, which literally happened at the very end of the previous episode, AND during the recap of this episode. And it wasn't just a "here's a quick glance, or series of small cuts, of what happened here". No, they literally replayed pretty much the entire final few minutes of the last episode, right down to Page-One's name card appearing again. That was excessive.

Other than that, the episode was superb, as expected of Nagamine.

Luffy’s turn to get hugged out of nowhere.

Well someone was really happy to finally meet Luffy

So last week we had an episode that got right into the swing of things and had like maybe ten seconds of flashback footage total...
    This week we have a three-minute recap at the start *and* another minute or so of flashbacking to what happened at the end of last episode, leaving this episode's start very slow...

Eh. I can excuse it somewhat because it very much feels like they kinda "sacrificed" the A-part of the episode so that they could be consistently firing on all cylinders for the B-part. When the fighting actually started the rest of the episode was pretty much golden.

They really nailed the obsessed fangirl vibe.

Awesomely fluid animation and peculiar art style this week. Anyone knows info? Like Ulti hugging P1, Yamato looking his own back or Luffy below here's artists name and/or followable social account.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Awesomely fluid animation and peculiar art style this week. Anyone knows info? Like Ulti hugging P1, Yamato looking his own back or Luffy below here's artists name and/or followable social account.

First one is Akiko Sugizono: https://twitter.com/3ono3onoex
    Last two are Itsuki Tsuchigami: https://twitter.com/vflmsppe

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    First one is Akiko Sugizono: https://twitter.com/3ono3onoex
    Last two are Itsuki Tsuchigami: https://twitter.com/vflmsppe

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Thank you, really kind of you.
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Worst aspect is probably all those constant low-poly CGI minions in the background. The designs were all generic, same poses, weird miscolored mouths, had more focus than foreground characters. It's left an ugly mark on all the talented animation.

List of clear signs of this episode was rushed:

06:22 - The beginning of the ugly CGI background characters
    08:06 - Horrible minion sliding-in animation
    08:14 - Lip flaps completely off
    08:34 - CGI minions floating up and down for no reason
    09:17 - Luffy's comedic response doesn't land right due to the audio and video cuts.
    13:20 - Ulti's initial transformation feels like its missing a sound effect, Luffy too in the next shot
    13:58 - Some weird pixelated effect at the very end of the Ulti's shot, something to do with how it was edited
    14:00 - Ulti's motion tween in the panning shot doesn't match the other characters, looks odd
    14:47 - PEAGE 1
    15:05 - Luffy lip-flap layer issue (shadow on top)
    15:58 - No blood can be seen on head, next shot blood wiped pops-in
    16:30 - PEAGE 1
    16:35 - Luffy and Ulti's feet leaning on invisible ground
    17:32 - PAGE
    18:07 - Potentially missing sound effect
    22:20 - Shot is way too zoomed in

All of this could be cleared up with some quality control and time. Huge rushed episode, even the preview image from about a week back wasn't colored correctly. Could we get another great episode soon? Feels like it's been a huge string of 'meh' for the past two months.
    Last edited by dropper; September 5th, 2021 at 03:42 PM.

This was one of those episodes where we were clearly supposed to fawn over the animation and ignore the obvious pacing issues, but I can't appreciate 2 minutes of quality material while suffering through 18 minutes of lackluster anime. I mean the flashback of Ulti and Page One falling down the stairs wasn't needed ffs, as we saw that scene last week so nobody forgot about it, and speaking of unnecessary scenes, those "tension" scenes where Luffy and Ulti were glaring at each other for like 10 seconds each time were ridiculous. Those scenes are always so cringy, but they stood out in this episode in particular. If the episode needed padding, the animators could've come up with something different, such as extending Luffy vs Ulti and Page One even further than they already did and giving us a really good fight.

Also, I dunno why they skipped the scene from the manga where the BP fodders laughed at Luffy when he said that he wanted to be the Pirate King.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshawott View Post
    This was one of those episodes where we were clearly supposed to fawn over the animation and ignore the obvious pacing issues, but I can't appreciate 2 minutes of quality material while suffering through 18 minutes of lackluster anime. I mean the flashback of Ulti and Page One falling down the stairs wasn't needed ffs, as we saw that scene last week so nobody forgot about it, and speaking of unnecessary scenes, those "tension" scenes where Luffy and Ulti were glaring at each other for like 10 seconds each time were ridiculous. Those scenes are always so cringy, but they stood out in this episode in particular. If the episode needed padding, the animators could've come up with something different, such as extending Luffy vs Ulti and Page One even further than they already did and giving us a really good fight.

Also, I dunno why they skipped the scene from the manga where the BP fodders laughed at Luffy when he said that he wanted to be the Pirate King.
    TBF, they did extend on Luffy vs Ulti quite a bit, and I don't mind stare downs. They didn't overstay their welcome and were pretty short. People need to watch more westerns lol. Those have literally minute long stare downs of literally nothing happening, and the pay is usually pretty miniscule comparatively.

I think the stare downs did a decent enough job of building tension in anticipation for the confrontation here. The OST placements were solid, and there was decent ambience in the background noises that served as alright anticipation for it.

Wink Re: 990: "Thunder Bagua! Enter Kaido's Son"

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    Worst aspect is probably all those constant low-poly CGI minions in the background. The designs were all generic, same poses, weird miscolored mouths, had more focus than foreground characters. It's left an ugly mark on all the talented animation.

List of clear signs of this episode was rushed:

06:22 - The beginning of the ugly CGI background characters
    08:06 - Horrible minion sliding-in animation
    08:14 - Lip flaps completely off
    08:34 - CGI minions floating up and down for no reason
    09:17 - Luffy's comedic response doesn't land right due to the audio and video cuts.
    13:20 - Ulti's initial transformation feels like its missing a sound effect, Luffy too in the next shot
    13:58 - Some weird pixelated effect at the very end of the Ulti's shot, something to do with how it was edited
    14:00 - Ulti's motion tween in the panning shot doesn't match the other characters, looks odd
    14:47 - PEAGE 1
    15:05 - Luffy lip-flap layer issue (shadow on top)
    15:58 - No blood can be seen on head, next shot blood wiped pops-in
    16:30 - PEAGE 1
    16:35 - Luffy and Ulti's feet leaning on invisible ground
    17:32 - PAGE
    18:07 - Potentially missing sound effect
    22:20 - Shot is way too zoomed in

All of this could be cleared up with some quality control and time. Huge rushed episode, even the preview image from about a week back wasn't colored correctly. Could we get another great episode soon? Feels like it's been a huge string of 'meh' for the past two months.
    Bro half of these are nitpicks rather than genuine signs relax lmao, yall get a little too in depth sometimes. Episode had issues in the actual amount of content in the episode but it wasn't some rush job, and if you're gonna ignore that 988 and 989 were good then thats your fault then lol.
    (also CG minions are better than having anime staff work to the bone to draw them in every single shot )
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information